It's What We've Always Wanted To Do
At ROKA, we're dedicated to empowering triathletes and swimmers with products that make them faster — faster than they were yesterday, faster than they were last season, faster than their competition. Faster takes hard work, but when you find resonance in the water with your training and equipment there's nothing like it. We call it "easy speed" and it feels AWESOME. Lost it? Never had it? No worries. We're here to help.
We started ROKA after we signed up for an Ironman 70.3 on a dare and subsequently spent more money on gear and less time in the water than we should have. After testing the "best" suits on the market, we found that the suits on the market all had major design flaws and performance hindering compromises — giving up some combination of body position, range of motion, rotation, or buoyancy. These suits forced us to swim much harder and slower than we had expected, leaving us spent and frustrated heading into T1. Sound familiar? Deeply frustrated with that experience, we decided to start from scratch and create a new wetsuit design, drawing on our decades of experience as competitive swimmers and the latest cutting edge research from the "supersuit" era in olympic swimming.
We spent our first two years doing research and development, creating and testing the Maverick wetsuits on pros, on ourselves and on everyday tri-addicts like you. Jesse Thomas was instrumental in making sure that the suit performed for developing swimmers with imperfect technique, not just elite swimmers like ourselves. Middle-of-the-pack age groupers also provided real and meaningful input, and we made specific changes to our suit design and material choice to accommodate developing swimmers without impacting the performance of the suit for elite swimmers. The result? The Maverick Pro's patent-pending design puts you in the fastest body position possible and facilities proper rotation for fast freestyle. What's more, our suit is so comfortable that your shoulders will not tire like they do in your current suit - promise.
After extensive pool and race testing, we believe the Maverick Pro is the fastest wetsuit on the planet. We have not found a faster suit. Along the product design path, we discovered a breakthrough training product in the SIM. For non-wetsuit swims, the super-fast and comfortable Viper offers NASA-tested, market-beating performance. More is on the way, so stay tuned.
ROKA is headquartered in Dallas, Texas and has employees in Los Angeles, California and Boulder, Colorado.
- ROKA pro athletes Javier Gómez and Gwen Jorgensen won a combined three world championship titles. ROKA pros had over a dozen ITU World Triathlon Series wins and Ironman® and Ironman 70.3® wins, and were First Out of the Water at countless races around the world, including the ITU WTS Grand Final, the Ironman 70.3 World Championship, and the Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
- ROKA Wetsuits named #1 by LAVA Magazine and Most Comfortable and Fastest Overall by Triathlete Magazine.
- In our first season, ROKA products saw widespread acceptance by elite and developing swimmers alike.
- ROKA pro athletes had 12 major wins and 13 major First Out of the Waters, including the Ironman World Championship, the ITU WTS Grand Final, the HyVee 5150 Elite Cup Championship, several Ironman and Ironman 70.3 races, and more.
- ROKA moves from Austin to Dallas, Texas. Co-Founder Rob Canales leaves his corporate law job to launch ROKA full-time at the end of March.
- 2011-2012 - Formal incorporation, serious R&D and IP protection begins. We spent two years designing and testing our suits before launching them in 2013.
- 2010 - ROKA was born in Barton Springs Pool in Austin, Texas – founded by Rob Canales and Kurt Spenser, two former All-American swimmers from Stanford University in Palo Alto, California.
ROKA was born in the Barton Springs Pool, a 300 yard open water pool in Austin, Texas.